Design Input = Improved Constructability
For CM/GC, the owner contracts separately with a designer and construction manager. But unlike traditional design-bid-build, the construction manager joins the design process early and works side-by-side with the designer, offering constructability advice that saves time in analyzing design alternatives. When Broomfield County hired ECI as CM/GC to build its 80-acre Broomfield County Commons Park, ECI provided early recommendations, which enabled it to initiate earthwork when designs were 76% complete. Because of the CM/GC process, the project was completed 180 early. CM/GC’s faster design time saved the Utah Department of Transportation 40% in design costs and reduced construction time 25% for several projects.
- Shortened Project Duration – Construction begins before design drawings are 100% complete.
- Better Budget Control – Accurate construction cost estimates are maintained during design and throughout construction.
- Positive Team Relationship – Owner, designer, and contractor are a team from day one. This collaborative environment enhances communication, reduces project costs, and helps maintain project intent.
- Constructability Reviews – Contractor reviews the design and identifies construction concerns or design questions.
- Qualified Subcontractors – Contractor pre-qualifies subcontractors based on historical performance, craftsmanship, financial stability, price, and overall accountability.